For all the projects for which the clinical trials are required, clearance is accorded by Clinical Ethical Committee of the Centre for proceeding with the human clinical trials.
The following are the Members:
1. Prof. Dr. G. P. Dubey, Chairman, Ethical Committee, CARISM, SASTRA
2. Shri. S. Vaidyasubramanian, Dean, Planning & Development, SASTRA
3. Dr. G. Baskaran, Professor & Director of Philosophy, Tamil University,
4. Dr. N. Punniamoorthy, Professor & Head, Veterinary Training Center,
5. Dr. R. Elangovan, Professor of Neuro Surgery, Thanjavur Medical College,
6. Dr. A. Jaswanth, Assistant Professor Periyar College of Pharmacy, Trichy
7. Mr. R. Giridharan, General Law Practitioner, Thanjavur
8. Dr. Mrs. Cecilia Pandian , Head, Department of Zoology, Kunthavai Natchiyar
Govt. Arts College for Women (Member)
9. Dr. A. Hannah Rachel Vasanthi, Visiting faculty, SASTRA (Member)
10. Dr. Eugene Wilson, Senior Lecturer, CARISM (Member)
11. Dr. G. Victor Rajamanickam, Member Secretary, Ethical Committee, Dean,
So far, twice on 19th January 2005 and 20th May 2005, the Meeting has been conducted.
Institutional Ethical Committee Meeting
at the Centre held on 19.01.05
The Centre is monitored by Experts Committee, which is not only monitoring the progress but also working as Advisory Agency. The First Monitoring Committee Meeting of the Centre for Advanced Research in Indian System of Medicine (CARISM) was held on 27th November 2004 at SASTRA University. Prof. Dr. G. Victor Rajamanickam placed before the committee the long term objectives and goals of CARISM. The following members participated and gave their suggestions for the betterment of CARISM.
| Dr. Vasantha Muthusamy,
| Dr. Ramesh
M/s. Citadel Fine Pharmaceuticals
Velacherry, Chennai – 600 042
| Dr. G. P. Dubey
Ex-Dean Ayurveda of BHU
Lanka, Varanasi- 221 005
| Dr. Aruna Agarwal
Center for Psychosomatic and
Banaras Hindu University
Varanasi - 221 005
| Dr. S. K. Sharma
Department of AYUSH
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
Government of India
New Delhi – 110 001
| Dr. G. J. Samathanam
Drugs and Pharmaceuticals Division
Department of Science & Technology
New Delhi – 110 016
| Dr. B. Suresh, M.Pharm., Ph.D.
J.S.S college of Pharmacy
Ootacamund – 643 001
| Dr. S. Narendran, M.S., Ph.D.
Professor of Surgery
Thanjavur Medical College
Thanjavur – 613 004
| Dr. A. Saraswathy
Assistant Director In-Charge
Captain Srinivasa Murti Drug Research
Institute for Ayurveda (SMDRI)
Arumbakkam, Chennai – 600 106
| Shri S.Vaidyasubramaniam
Dean, Planning & Development
Thanjavur – 613 402
| Dr. K. S. Gopalakrishnan
Dept of Chemistry
Manonmaniam Sundaranar University
Abishekhapatti – 627 012
| Dr. S.N.Srivastava
Thanjavur – 613 402
The Second Monitoring Committee Meet of the Centre was held at Hotel Aaditya, Chennai, on 28th May 2005 along with special invitees to discuss about the prospective plan to expand CARISM in the next decade.
>> Drugs & Pharmaceuticals Division, Department of Science & Technology
>> Department of AYUSH
>> CHARAK Division, Defence Research & Development Organization (DRDO),
Many industries as shown below have initiated the collaborative research.
>> M/s Citadel Aurobindo Biotech Ltd., Chennai
>> M/s Orchid Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Chennai
>> M/s Vedic Drugs Pvt Ltd, Bangalore
>> M/s Tulsi Ayurvedic Products & Research Pvt Ltd, Bhadohi, U.P
Moreover, the following industries have entrusted their products to investigate and prepare the safety profile and estimate the level of metal concentration in their products including the metal toxicity studies. They are as follows:
(1) Evernova Health products Pvt. Ltd., Bombay,
(2) Trinity Pharmaceuticals, Thrissur,
(3) Rohini Global, Chennai,
(4) Shree Dhootapapeshwar Ltd., Panvel, and
(5) M/s Lakshmi Seva Sangham, Siddha and Ayurveda Pharmacy, Dindigul.
(6) M/s Arvind Remedies Ltd, Chennai.
(7) M/s Vedic Life Sciences, Mumbai
(8) M/s Alathur Pharmaceuticals Manufacturing Association (APMA)
>> Center for Psychosomatic and Biofeedback Medicine, Banaras Hindu
>> Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore.
>> Boston Medical Centre, Boston
>> Centre for Geotechnology, Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli.
>> Department of Pharmacology, Dr.ALM Post-Graduate Institute of Basic
Medical Sciences, Madras University, Chennai.
>> Alagappa University, Karaikkudi.
>> Tamil University, Thanjavur
>> Thanjavur Medical College, Thanjavur
>> National Institute of Oceanography (NIO)
>> Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
>>Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS), Hyderabad.